This two-day workshop provides educators with a fresh look at how to engage multilingual learners in rigorous content area learning with a balance of challenge and support. The purpose of the workshop is to encourage educators to consider a dynamic set of classroom practices that support multilingual students as they move toward increasing independence and expertise in grade-level content. Participants will explore how rigorous, well-sequenced curriculum within the content of meaningful experiences contributes to rich classroom interactions that mediate learning.
This workshop is designed for all educators of multilingual learners. It provides a great opportunity for teams who work with the same language learners to collaborate.
Participants will be able to:
- Develop an understanding of scaffolding practices based on prior knowledge, new learning, and shared experience.
- Build awareness of macro- and micro-scaffolding practices that apprentice students into language use for content area learning.
- Consider how students’ resources can support collaborative learning.
- Recognize the importance of establishing a collaborative community of learners that moves forward and upward together.
- Examine ways to engage students in exploring language use for content learning.
| Early-Bird Rate (11th January 2019)
|| US$ 550
| Full Registration
|| US$ 650
Registration Closing Date: 22nd March 2019
Contact Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
The American International School of Johannesburg (AISJ)
Johannesburg, South Africa.
Visa and Health
Refer to the South Africa VISA Information and Exemptions website for information.
Hotel Name: City Lodge Hotel
Physical Address: Cnr Montecasino Boulevard & Witkoppen Roads; Fourways, Johannesburg.
Phone No: +27 11 244 6000
Single Occupancy Rate (Bed & Breakfast): ZAR 952.80
Double Occupancy Rate (Bed & Breakfast): ZAR 1,117.80
To make a booking, fill in the Booking Form and send it the Reservations Team at email@example.com with your check in/out details.
To arrange for an airport transfer, send an email to Marco at Avala Transport (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your itinerary details. Marco can also be reached at +27 827715885
Hotel – School Transport
The Host School will provide a shuttle to pick participants from the City Lodge Hotel in the morning and provide a return trip in the evening.